• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

vin # on 1969 mach 1

krk1969
New User
Posted: 09/18/13 06:44 PM

I have a 1969 mach 1 that I believe to be an original 63000 mile car. The vin on the dash however does not match the door tag, or the stamped # under the right front fender (but the door and apron do match each other). The production #s in the dash vin compared to the door and apron are the same also. The #s that do not match are the (dash) **31L******, which tells me Fairlane w/6 cyl. and (door and apron) **02H****** which tells me fastback w/351w 2bl which is what I have. Both vin #s tell me San Jose plant where both cars where assembled, I believe, so I am wondering, is this a unique vin problem that is a good deal, because it is rare mistake or a problem that I will not be able to correct without changing the vin plate on the dash. I do also have the original window sheet with the **02H****** vin and it is also titled with that #.  

70bird
User
Posted: 09/19/13 05:15 AM

it is a titling problem and worth less because it can not be legally titled anywhere in the weorld as a mustang.

the dash vin was possibly lost and a new incorrect one was made. either way it is very, very, bad ju, ju.  

krk1969
New User
Posted: 09/19/13 05:52 AM

car is titled as a mustang, with the 02 vin, and dash plate appears to be original  

70bird
User
Posted: 09/19/13 01:37 PM

the reo dash plates look original so that means nothing. i have answered your question the best i can

if you ever try to sell it good luck. the dash vin is the only legal vin on that uear car and yours does not natch, it's that stamped vins or the title its as simple as that.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/19/13 06:50 PM

yes, but then on the other hand the sequence of both vins match,this is not the first time we have heard of miss stampings in at the ford plant, ie a mustang is stamped as a falcon, some operator on a monday had a hang over lol Grin  

70bird
User
Posted: 09/20/13 03:36 AM

Icon Quote54packman:
yes, but then on the other hand the sequence of both vins match,this is not the first time we have heard of miss stampings in at the ford plant, ie a mustang is stamped as a falcon, some operator on a monday had a hang over lol Grin

the point is that no one will buy it and it will be difficult to register.

do you really think the police or the dmv are going to believe a story like a factory mis stamp and issue a title for a vin that does not legally exist?  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/20/13 12:36 PM

yes, but what are the odds of anyone finding another windshield tag that has all the correct information except the body code, , the body is for sure not a fairlane, any one could tell that. some states will have the local police check the numbers and then issue a report for the DMV. I have had some of my Packards where they have used the body number which is ok, others have the engine serial # as the VIN, others have used and anti theft number on the fire wall..  

70bird
User
Posted: 09/20/13 02:52 PM

WRONG, National law is dictsted in a manual. engine vins not allowed for title, on 68 and later cars the dash vin is the only legal one, period, no exceptions, 0, nada, nine, zilch.

just because some moron cop or dmv person violated the law because they were STUPID does NOT make it legal. Every "REAL" agency will laugh you out of their office if you tell them that.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/20/13 03:19 PM

my Packards do not have a dash vin #'s.  Some early fords the vin was the engine number.  

70bird
User
Posted: 09/21/13 05:37 AM

i said 68 and newer had to have dash vins. do you have a 68 or newer packard that does not have a dash vin. i don't think so.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/21/13 11:31 AM

it could be interesting to do a Marti report on both vins and see what it comes up with... or even talk with ford motor *** since its there original mistake lol  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/21/13 11:31 AM

it could be interesting to do a Marti report on both vins and see what it comes up with... or even talk with ford motor *** since its there original mistake lol  

70bird
User
Posted: 09/22/13 06:38 AM

marti reports would be interesting.

you are assuming that is the orig ford tag. never assume.