• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

New (old) project. Where do I start???

Whatchasee
User
Posted: 05/28/14 06:51 AM

1968 Coupe (289)
Started this a few years ago and had to put it on hold for 2 years.

Sheet metal is done.
Front suspension is replaced.
Damn near everything has been removed from chassis. Interior/glass/engine/drive train/heater. I left the wiring so I would have a guide to replace (I have a Painless set ready to go).

how do I prioritize what to do when?

I'm an amateur so any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 05/28/14 07:14 AM

insulation is usually first after you have painted the car..

some of the wiring goes into places like the dash board area..  its really not what comes first. its what needs customizing..  a lot of stuff gets installed.. while some items get installed removed.. modified.. reinstalled..   door and quarter panel glass.. but don't put the door panels on until you have done all the weatherstripping as you have to adjust it and the doors..

did you redo the door hinges.. so there is no sag.. and no play????/ also a good idea before paint..  

Whatchasee
User
Posted: 05/28/14 09:14 AM

No body work or paint yet.
I skinned the doors and installed the Qtrs...fitting will be a challenge I'm sure. Have not thought to do hinges.

I was thinking Id start with the wiring or the heater to try and get the under dash bits done and begin to fill the firewall.

I have new brake lines as well and thought that they might follow the wiring.(again, working to get the firewall done)

I do need to do one more Qtr glass.

Any of this seem too soon/late.

Thanks again.

C.  

Whatchasee
User
Posted: 05/28/14 09:14 AM

duplicate post  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 05/28/14 10:26 AM

don't forget to test fit the window weatherstripping before it goes to the paint shop..

the fuzzy stuff that rides against the outside of the glass. then tag each piece to where it goes..  i don't know if you have exact replica stuff.. or like me you are using straight stick stuff from C R Laurence. using a hand held sheet metal punch and making holes to use rivets or screws..  its been so many years since i replaced that in my former 70 ranchero..   i think it was riveted in.. although.. it might have been stapled..  i know the inside was stapled to the inner door panel device..

here is a video on installing it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4H6iYnRzVU

got pictures???