• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

8pin rectangular connector

PairofMustangs
New User
Posted: 06/22/14 09:49 PM

Currently I have a '67 Mustang Convertible which I am turning into a restomod with help from an '87 5.0 EFI HO,my wiring comes from an '89 (which was advised for me to use) and I am using MassAir.
I am really stuck do you know where the 8 pin-connector (rectangular) is on the harness ?
Also what connects from the 8pin-connector to the harness as I don't seem to have a port for this, do I need to swap out the harness ?
Is the inertia switch connector next to the 8pin connector ?

thanks so much for your help  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 06/23/14 06:08 AM

the 89 EFI HO motor is not a PLUG AND PLAY in a 67 mustang.

you do have to create some connections.    did you get the matching computer...

do you still have the donor 89 mustang???? so you can remove more parts and the chassis side of the harness so you can unwrap it and just use the engine controls..
i ask because the 89 HO i seem to recall has Sequential port fuel injection where the injectors are fired 1 at a time in advance of the firiing order..  the firing order is also different..  the HO motor also in those years came with FORGED PISTONS..
the EFI motor without the HO.. came with batch fire fuel injection.. where four injectors at a time would fire.

for the fuel pump.. well.. you can duplicate that harness failrly easily..

here is the chassis side of the harness..

88Mustangefiharness Zpsd8a5c042

here is the engine side of the harness..

1995 Mustang 50Engineharness Zpsa2c34211

92 Mustang50ecmconnector Zpsbf55ea49

92Mustang50harness Zps9c383203

92 Mustangr50relays Zps9f96e3a1

92 Mustang50dashharnesstoengine Zps6b8bd958

Cp9115foreeciv KOEO Koertesting Zps6f1f70a0

this is an 87 SEFI wiring diagram.. it will be close... i will look around for an 89 version.

87 Mustang50efi EECIV Zpse31c6dd7

this is the other way.. the 91 to 93 diagram.. and how they hooked up the main and fuel pump relays..  i am almost sure the 89 versions were slightly different..

91 93 50 EEC4 Enginecontrolwiring Zps655c81e0

there are several articles around on this swap.. if you have not seen them..

you will also need depending on what you are going to do with it.. the vacuum switches and harness.   there are some issues about needing to pass the KOEO and KOER testing.. to get the best fuel economy so everthing has to work and be there .. including the air injection system..

are you using the original C4 transmission.. you will need the special flex plate to allow the use of your C4 behind the later 5.0..  they are fairly easy to put together..

if you are running the reverse rotation timing cover.. water pump and fan.. thats easily done also.. the wiring to the 3G alternator that came on 89 motors is different but fixable.  

PairofMustangs
New User
Posted: 06/23/14 11:39 PM

I have uploaded some photos of my 89 5.0 computer/harness setup this also includes the 8 pin connector

Where does the 8 pin connector attach to ?

Am i missing an additional harness ?

Sorry I must be missing this somehow but how do I power up the computer ?

DSCN3194

DSCN3194  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 06/24/14 09:29 AM

that connects to the dashboard harness and yes.. some of the wires supply power..

can you identify the wire colors into it.. and i will see if i can find the exact diagram.

and perhaps describe what color goes to where...

this might help ...

88 93 Eeciv Voltage Mustang Zps34e83239

do post wiring colors into that..  or side view images fairly close up.. left and right side..  i can enlarge them to see the wire colors on my end  

MustangMan
Posted: 06/30/14 09:14 AM

The green 8-pin connector you are asking about is connector #39 in the image posted above of the line drawing of the harness. When doing a conversion you usually cut this plug off and then hard wire the needed wiring depending upon the year of the harness.

Your best bet is to get an EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) for the year of the harness. You can find them on eBay all the time.

This will allow you to trace the wires in the 8-pin connector and see what needs to be connected. Some are power, some are for fuel pump, etc.

Finding the full Ford Racing 5.0L harness instructions (where those line drawings came from) might help as well.
Here, I found these old instructions at Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/397/397-M-12071-A50.pdf

Check out page 9 where it lists the wiring in that connector and what they do. The colors should match.

HTH...
Mark  
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

PairofMustangs
New User
Posted: 07/13/14 12:28 AM

sorry for the delayed reply had some family issues and i'm sure you all know when the mustang takes a backseat, well at least according to my wife

I am using the original C4 transmission and am aware of the KOEO/R testing.

I have the special flex plate, the trannny is installed with the 5.0.

we are running the reverse rotation timing cover, water pump and fan and we have the 3G Alternator, the situation with the different years wiring is a work in progress so far.  

PairofMustangs
New User
Posted: 07/13/14 12:44 AM

I haven't really completed much wiring as I am still working on the engine this week I expect to tackle as I was for the rest of my aforementioned parts to come in, probably sometime over the next wk I should have more detailed info. thanks for your help.

I also the EVTSM book at my disposal. thanks all will get more detailed info this week.