• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

BRAKE PROBLEM

mikewease
New User
Posted: 10/29/13 04:26 PM

REBUILT COMPLETE BRAKE SYSTEM INCLUDING FRT DISC. I AM USING DOT 5 FLUID AND HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME STOPPING LEAKS....MAINLY THE CONNECTION OF THE FLEX HOSE AND THE FRT CALIPERS. (I HAVE TRIED CHANGING WASHERS AND EXTRA TIGHTENING OF BOLTS)
THE DRIPS CONTINUE WITH JUST GRAVITY FLOW. I EVEN TRIED SILICONE TAPE ON THE THREADS BUT THE TAPE JUST DISSOLVES EVEN WITH DOT 5 FLUID. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? Confused  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 10/29/13 06:29 PM

copper washers are used in the banjo connection at the calipers..

and some brands are TOO HARD to properly distort into the grooves provided in the end of the hose block...

if there is damage to the mating/sealing surfaces of the brake caliper.. where they got bumped together at some point in time.. it will leak and leak and leak..

do you have stock 67 calipers???? that use a straight in hose??? or something else that uses a banjo fitting.. a hole in the hose and a hollow bolt with 2 copper sealing washers...  

mikewease
New User
Posted: 10/30/13 08:57 PM

Hi Wayne....Thanx for the response. The front disc brake came as a kit. I purchased it approx six yrs ago....installed it but never used it. The car was completely dissassembled and I am starting to get it back together. So to answer your question
....no they R after market calipers but all came as a kit including the flex hoses.
The end that fits on the caliper is a machined square block and can only be fitted
on the caliper one way. I never had DOT 3 in the system pryor to using the DOT 5 fluid.(I have read the DOT 5 is a much thinner vicosity and therefore is more susceptible to leaks) Do not know if I should change fluids or try changing the
flex hose? Either way it is going to cost. The next step would be to try a different caliper?  

70bird
User
Posted: 10/30/13 10:03 PM

so the hose attaches with a bolt?

you have a copper washer on both sides of the hose fitting?  

mikewease
New User
Posted: 10/31/13 05:07 AM

exactly....there R washers on both sides.....and both calipers R leaking. I heard that if i heat the washers and quench them they will soften and seal better. Any input 'preciated.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/31/13 09:35 AM

try heating the copper washers red hot, and dropping them into water, this will anneal them and make them soft again to help seal them.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/31/13 09:41 AM

go to the parts store.... BUY NEW ones...

as thin as possible..

as close to the bolt diameter as possible.. you don't want them really loose..

the concentric rings on the brake hose end cause impressions in the dead soft copper washers to seal the 2500 PSI braking system..

use a combo wrench on the threads of the banjo bolt to see what size it is..

either 3/8 or 10MM      10 mm is 0.020 larger than 3/8...

once in a while there are 7/16 or 11 mm banjo bolts..

can you supply some casting numbers off the brake calipers so one of us or the guys at the parts store can identify the calipers to reverse the application..

and.. if you are using banjo bolts.. are there inverted flair cones inside the caliper hose connections... as many ford calipers use an inverted flair seal straight on thread attaching..

really thick copper washers just DON'T SEAL properly..  it takes thin ones..  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/31/13 10:01 AM

for 3/8" banjo bolt sealing..

use motormite #66270    25/64 ID.. which is 1/64 larger than 3/8...   and 1/32 thick...

the metric washer size is 10.3mm ID  66223 motormite.. 1.2MM thick.. but thats 1/16 thick also...

those have 2 per package...

there are additional part numbers in dorman..  

mikewease
New User
Posted: 10/31/13 08:31 PM

Hey guys....thanx for the input. I will certainly follow up and reply if I have any success.  

mikewease
New User
Posted: 11/04/13 02:44 PM

Hi Wayne....the calipers have MBM 1521R. I found their website and will contact
them once I have Tried the heated washer trick. Right now I am also having problems
bleeding the entire system. (I had to bleed my 66Tbird but only installed new
brakelines at that time)  

mikewease
New User
Posted: 11/11/13 10:47 AM

Thanx again gentlemen for your input.....I did try heating up the washers and
it seemed to do the trick. (I did go back to DOT 4)