• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

289 rebuilt overheating

lnakama
New User
Posted: 07/06/14 03:44 PM

I just rebuilt my 289 with a new radiator, new water pump and new thermostat.  Engine runs hot at or above the midway point on the temp gauge.  The engine always ran about 1/4 way on the temp gauge before the rebuild.  My mechanic made a hole in the thermostat in an effort to bring down the temperature with a constant flow of the coolant.  Is this a good practice?  Also, any ideas on the overheating?  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 07/07/14 01:00 AM

do you or your mechanic have an infrared temp gun.. so you can monitor the engine temps along the heads across the intake.. and in the radiator.. if you can run it back and forth across the radiator..  you might find cold tubes.. if you do.. then you have blockages..

i don't know if the 289 headgaskets were equipped with it.. but 302 head gaskets had a lower square corner and a lower NON square corners..

Ford Headgasket Installation Direction Zpsf6d2bdc0

one head gasket face down..

one head gasket face up..

both must have the words FRONT toward the water pump end of the motor..

this rarely happens.. but every once in a while..

do you have a bypass hose next to the thermostat.. that allows coolant from behind the thermostat to circulate thru the engine again and again until it picks up enough heat to open the thermostat????  where it will swap the hot coolant in the block with the cooler coolant in the radiator..

Image 20980  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 07/07/14 01:10 AM

just curious.. what year 289...   the early ones don't have as many blades on the water pump than the later ones...

there are also issues with some brands that the water pump blades are straight out from the blade. so the pump can be used in either direction. this results in pumps without enough flow in either direction..  

lnakama
New User
Posted: 07/08/14 03:27 PM

The 289 is on a 66.  It's the first rebuild and the car has little modification, only petronix ignition.  I had a feeling it was a blockage somewhere in the engine.  So discouraging since it's my first step in this restoration.  I will try to locate a mechanic with an infrared temperature gun and also share your diagrams with my engine rebuilder.  Thanks for the suggestions.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 07/08/14 07:34 PM

perhaps you misunderstood me..

look at the corners of the cylinder heads.. are there square corners sticking out from under the heads  completely and easily visible..

infrared temp guns are usually 35 to 40 bucks at harbor freight or many auto parts stores..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 07/08/14 07:37 PM

perhaps you misunderstood me..

look at the corners of the cylinder heads.. are there square corners sticking out from under the heads  completely and easily visible..

infrared temp guns are usually 35 to 40 bucks at harbor freight or many auto parts stores..  

lnakama
New User
Posted: 07/10/14 05:48 PM

Okay, I'll check the corners of the cylinder heads.  The car is still in the shop so it may take a few days before I can get to the shop.  Will let you know as soon as I can.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/12/14 11:20 PM

You say it's the block's 1st rebuild? Can your mechanic tell you the cylinder overbore?
I've always heard boring a small block ford over .030 was asking for hot engine temps.  

lnakama
New User
Posted: 07/14/14 08:21 PM

It was the 1st engine rebuild and my mechanic said that the engine boring was at .030 and not over.  He did say that the engine usually runs hot during the break-in period.  Another thing is that when I got the Mustang, it didn't have a fan shroud.  Do you think a fan shroud would help?  

lnakama
New User
Posted: 07/14/14 08:22 PM

It was the 1st engine rebuild and my mechanic said that the engine boring was at .030 and not over.  He did say that the engine usually runs hot during the break-in period.  Another thing is that when I got the Mustang, it didn't have a fan shroud.  Do you think a fan shroud would help?