• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

My Ford Mustang: New Forum Member & Mustang Driver

ToVeR
New User
Posted: 01/10/14 02:02 PM

Hello all,

Well, before embarking on the forum with a list of questions regarding a vintage Ford Mustang, I thought it would be nice to introduce myself to the community. For a lack of a dedicated forum section, I am doing it here.

Well, I am Tom. I am from Belgium, still living there, and I am the proud owner of a vintage Ford Mustang since March 2013. As this is my first classic car and I am loving it.

Leading up to the Mustang: After years being mainly interested in all thing aviation (avid aircraft spotter), I returned to an old love: cars. It started of with race cars, then moved on to historic race cars and then switched to classic cars, or as we call them in Belgium: oldtimers. Actually it was during a historic race event, on the classic car park in 2012 at Spa-Francorchamps, that it hit me. When seeing the rows of cars, US classics between them, I thought: "I want to have a car among these cars. I love those. I want to be a part of this." It was the first time that I was genuinely jealous of other car owners. I wanted to own a classic myself. And it had to be an American one.
Then the interest really took off.

I will not be shy about it, my first interest were not directed to the Ford Mustang. My first interest went to a product from the Chrysler group: the Dodge Challenger. Cut a longer story short: it was out of my (financial) league and difficult to find over here. For my first classic I was not considering coming over to the US and purchase wheels over there and go through the export and import business myself.
The Dodge being out of reach, I fell in love with another classic: Chevrolet Corvette C2. Upon seeing the cost of such a car in pristine condition my love for classics was almost gone. I started to believe everything I loved was out of my reach. But then, on day in March 2013, it was as if the stars lined up, if you believe in such things.

I went to local classic car dealer, appropriately named "California Import". A business specialized in purchasing American classics in ... you guessed it: California, exports them to Belgium, so deals with the import, and sells it on in Belgium. That is were I saw the car. I almost disregarded it. It was in such a nice and good conditions that our first though was (I was at the shop with a friend): "This is way out of my league. Can't afford it. Next."
I did not even inform about the price.
My friend did.
And told me.
And it was within my reach.
I could hardly believe it.

The car had only recently arrived from California. Beginning 2013 it was still over there. And there was interest from more people in this car.
We walked around it. I checked the VIN-numbers, verified what I could, looked the car over. OK, the paint job could have been better. OK, the rubbers on the door are not in the best shape anymore. Then somebody from the shop started the V8. What I felt inside at that moment ... It cannot be described. I hope I am not sounding stupid or pathetic, but it was really like falling in love. The car looks absolutely great. It was within my financial reach. Just there for grabs. But there are many others interested as well. Even a family that walked into the shop shortly after I started properly looking at the car.

I waited no longer. After a long nervous period, pondering what to do, I made the decision I have not regretted since: "I am buying this car!"
Went to the bank to get the money for the down payment, the shop put the "SOLD" sign behind the windscreen, and I walked out of the shop as a new Mustang owner. I had to wait for some weeks before I could drive it (it needed to get a classic car insurance and needed to pass the technical checks to be allowed on the road and during that time it was snowing in Belgium and the salt on the road would also not have done anything good to the car).

But enough talk. What did I buy:

A 1966 vintage red hardtop Ford Mustang. The car was build in San Jose, CA and is equipped with a 289ci-2v engine. It has a standard 2.80:1 ratio for the rear axle. Further details are a deluxe (pony) interior, also burgundy coloured. Additionally the car has an automatic C4 gearbox and comes with an airconditioning unit.

And this it what the car looks like:

Tomverbruggen 1 OZD 406 1966Fordmustang

Looks great, doesn't it?
You will have noticed that the color is not emberglo(w). I have no idea about the correct name, but I consider it vintage burgundy (color code X). Not visible in the picture is the interior. It is the luxury, or pony, interior, but is completely red. The final certainly not-original items are the wheels. They are 15", not 14". And it seems the suspension has been lowered somewhat.

The previous owner, or one of the previous owners, really made this a great looking car, or maintained it as a great looking car. Perhaps a little bit let down in the engine compartment (a.o. the wiring) but nothing that cannot be corrected over time). And nothing that prevents it from being a great drive.

But ... on such a car you can expect some (minor) hiccups. And I did find them. But I had to use the car to find them out.

- The windshield washer fluid bag leaks and does not hold the fluid. I filled it
and ended up some time later with a pool of water under the car.
- There is a significant leakage from the outside in. Clarification: when it rains (heavily) or when I wash the car, a lot of water enters the cabin along the kick panels. The carpet gets all wet. Not so nice.
- The headlights are not properly aligned and do not give off a lot of light. Driving in the dark is really no fun in the current configuration.
- Difficulty in starting up. No idea why, but I have to pump the accelerator some times before it wants to start.
- When cold: danger of stalling the engine when attempting to move forward from standing still. However, I am not sure that this is a real problem of a car, or a problem of the driver (i.e. me).
- Sometimes the odometer refuses to rotate, mainly when passing the "0" mark for the tenths of miles. This goes together with a loud tick from the dashboard (there is an input that wants it to rotate!) and it makes the speedometer needle jump up and down, so checking the speed becomes next to impossible.
- Broken windscreen wiper, on the driver side.

Some items corrected so far:
- I decided to have the front wheel alignment checked. I don't know how it was possible, but the shop managed to make it worse. I lost all the thread on my front tires in one month driving. This went accompanied with a terrifying shriek from the tires. With a colleague of mine, someone who is into car mechanics, checked the alignment in a more old-fashioned way and together we got it right. The tires. seem to last now and the noise is gone. So far for modern technology.
- The brake lines to the front brakes protruded from under the car. There was a danger of these catching to whatever might pass under the car and damaging the braking system. This was solved by adding a bracket under the chassis. The real cause is that the brake lines are not that well put under the car, they are too long and I think routed the wrong way, but we did not have the means to make a "text-book-correct" correction.

I like the car to maintain its classic looks, so I will not attempt to change too much, but under the body, under the hood I have no problem with adding items that makes the car more safe or more comfortable to drive.

So, this ends my (very long) introduction. Wonder if somebody ever gets this low in the post. In my next posts I will try to get some help here to some of the issues mentioned above.

Greetings,

Tom  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 01/10/14 03:13 PM

headlights adjustment are easy... do take a look.. there will be phillips screws  at 12 and either 9 or 3.. depending on left or right it will be in a angled slot U this is up and down at the 12 o clock screw.. and left and right are the 3 or 9 o clock screws...   sometimes the plastic pieces that go thru the backing plate are broken... if so they will need to be changed..

normally a dark level street..  having either a dark towel laying over one headlight while adjusting the other or standing infront of one to see where the other is aiming..

there are 3 L shaped tabs on each headlight mounting rings.. if you have any that are broken off.. do not loose them..   you can find somebody with a resistance welder.. tongs type.. think sheet metal shops.. they can position it back into place and spot weld it in.. this is resistance welding .. not MIG.. NOT TIG. NOT STICK..  you can use a long spring with a hooked end.. to help in unlatching the spring that holds the headlight assembly in place against the 2 adjusting screws..

as for the carb...

there are a bunch of articles here on rebuilding them..

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1201_autolite_carburetor_rebuild/

i have some tricks for the 2100 also..   more than likely.. you are going to find the accelerator pump shooters are clogged..

2100 Pump Discharge Nozzles Zps4e64a9df

2100Booster Idle Air Bleed Zps6af3cc05

2100 Idle Air Bleeds Zps96aeedd1

2100 Main Circuit Tubes Zps1339a90c  

dond1965
New User
Posted: 01/10/14 10:17 PM

sir, NEVER POST YOUR VIN NUMBER on the internet!!  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 01/11/14 11:24 AM

i missed that and he is correct..

log back in..  view your post.. below left of the post will be an EDIT post link that is only available to you when logged in.. or to moderators and administrators.. i am not a moderator on this forum..  you can delete or XXXXXX convert the sequence number.. easily..

welcome to the forums..  

MustangMan
Posted: 01/13/14 08:45 AM

The water leaking in is one of two things, either the cowl vent or the windshield gasket. Use a garden hose or a bucket of water and pour the water into the cowl vent behind the hood. If the water enters the cabin and runs down the kick panels the cowl vent "hats" are rusted out. It is an involved repair requiring removal of the cowl (drilling out spot welds, cutting metal, welding in new, painting, etc.). In a pinch you can install a cowl vent seal. It won't allow fresh air in while driving, but you can use it on rainy days or when you wash the car. If you don't get any water (highly unlikely) then it is probably the windshield gasket. It could be cracked and allowing water in or not properly sealed with flexible, non-hardening windshield sealer.

Aligning the headlights might help some, but most likely you'll want to upgrade to better halogen headlights for a brighter bulb and more visibility. You can even replace the glass bulbs with housings that take standard H4 style bulbs (might be easier to find over there).

Your difficulty starting could just be you are not used to a carburetor if all you've owned have been fuel injected vehicles. Normally you would pump the gas once or twice (which sets the choke for high idle as well) and then start the car. If the car has been sitting for a couple of weeks you might have to pump it a few extra times and then hold the pedal at half-throttle until it fires off.

A pic of the engine might help to see if it has a hot-water choke or electric choke or possibly nothing hooked up at all.

The color shown is definitely vintage burgundy, emberglo is a more copper color. Still a nice look though.

Enjoy the car and keep at it the little things...

HTH...
Mark
Mark Houlahan
Brand Manager
Mustang Monthly Magazine

1965 FFR Roadster 427W/TKO-600 5-speed
1966 Mustang 289-4V/C4 Auto
1968 Mustang 4.6L Three-Valve/5R55S Auto
1990 Mustang 306/AOD
2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V-6/5R55 Auto
2005 F-150 4x2 4.2L V-6/4R70W Auto

ToVeR
New User
Posted: 01/23/14 01:15 PM

Sorry, did not know. I corrected it.

Taking the risk of a stupid question (is there such thing?): Why is this?  

ToVeR
New User
Posted: 01/23/14 01:15 PM

ToVeR
New User
Posted: 01/23/14 01:16 PM

Icon Quotedond1965:
sir, NEVER POST YOUR VIN NUMBER on the internet!!

shyrgfuh70
New User
Posted: 01/24/14 01:53 AM

its an unnecessary precaution unless you have a rare high dollar car that someone might try to steal or in case the gov is watching etc.

simply list the vin minus the last 3 digits.