• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

cam replace

JK65
New User
Posted: 01/21/14 02:07 AM

I have a 65 mustang with a 289 4 barrel holley hi po manifolds with four speed top loader.   The engine has a constant ticking noise in it.  I had to replace the eccentric for the fuel pump last year with a new timing chain.  It has new main bearings and roller bearings in as well.  I was thinking about putting in a new cam, lifters and springs kit.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  

Brazil
New User
Posted: 01/21/14 05:01 AM

My '66 started ticking also. You might pop the valve covers and see if the rockers are all tightend correctly, I had one that was a little loose. A small exhaust leak at the engine and exhaust manifold can cause a similar ticking sound.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/22/14 11:56 AM

You can use these, Mechanic Stethoscope, or I have used wooden dowels stuck into my ear and pressed against the engine hard parts or rubber heater hose to listen and locate clicks that are hard to find. With the wood dowels, it's like wood against bone and you can really hear the guts of the engine.

Viewimage  

shyrgfuh70
New User
Posted: 01/24/14 01:47 AM

hi;

you can adjust the valves then if it still ticks run a qt of rislone or lucas engine cleaner in the oil for a few hundred miles. this helps clean the lifters internally.

if you buy a new cam and want stock perf or slightly better, a comp 256deh is good. if you run a perf cam you need around 10.0 static compression for it to work best.

if you have 3.23 gears or lower, a comp xe262h is a good choice. if you have 3.43 or lower, an xe 268h.  

JK65
New User
Posted: 01/27/14 12:38 AM

I had lifters adjusted last year and it continued to click.  I took it to an exhaust shop and they said it does have an exhaust leak but the clicking noise is in the bottom of motor. All mustang guys at shows say it is a lifter. I need an engine man in NE Ohio I think.  

JK65
New User
Posted: 01/27/14 12:39 AM

I had lifters adjusted last year and it continued to click.  I took it to an exhaust shop and they said it does have an exhaust leak but the clicking noise is in the bottom of motor. All mustang guys at shows say it is a lifter. I need an engine man in NE Ohio I think.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/27/14 08:21 AM

Noises in the bottom of engines are usually knocks rather than clicks. Identifying the location of the click is vital if a complete teardown is to be avoided. Sometimes fuel pumps and eccentrics can be a source of ticking when something is amiss.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/29/14 03:09 PM

does the engine have hydraulic lifter or solid lifters, if it has solids, a tick is normal on a cold engine, once the valves expand the noise will go away,, if the valve adjustment is tight when cold it will not make a noise, but will burn the valve faces once the valves expand..  

JK65
New User
Posted: 01/30/14 01:42 AM

hydraulic lifters and noise is there even when warm  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/30/14 12:11 PM

hydraulic lifters can bleed down, and may take a bit to pump back up if they are plugged up, try putting about 1/2 quart of automatic tranni fluid in the oil and running it for 20 to 30 min at idle, then change the oil and see if it clears it up. The tranni fluid tends to clean up the lifters inside so they will pump up properly, i have even run and older engine with about 1/4 quart with the oil change, to help keep them cleaned up..  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/30/14 01:36 PM

one other thing, what are you using for oil? New oils they have been removing the zinc content due to it damaging the cats in the new cars, the older cars used a flat lobes on the cam shaft which the zinc helped protect the lobes from wearing, only oils for diesel engines have the zinc, and some other brands like Rotella D still have the zinc, or have to use a break in supplement to the oil like what GM also sells or some other places sell it too.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/30/14 01:36 PM

one other thing, what are you using for oil? New oils they have been removing the zinc content due to it damaging the cats in the new cars, the older cars used a flat lobes on the cam shaft which the zinc helped protect the lobes from wearing, only oils for diesel engines have the zinc, and some other brands like Rotella D still have the zinc, or have to use a break in supplement to the oil like what GM also sells or some other places sell it too.  

JK65
New User
Posted: 02/18/14 11:51 PM

AMZoil 5W-30 synthetic. I thought all AMZoil products still had the zinc in them.