• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

erratic speedometer.

Walter Smith81
New User
Posted: 01/30/14 05:54 PM

I have a 1966 mustang the speedometer needle is bouncing .I have sprayed the cable and gauge with wd-40.   what else can I do ?

thanks
    wazoopizza  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 01/30/14 09:36 PM

spraying the outside of the cable casing or the outside of the speedometer will usually not fix things..

remove the cluster.. pull the cable core out of the speedo casing..

wipe it down away from the car..

feel the casing as it goes over your gloved fingers.. are there any worn spots.. or tight spots where it does not seem as flexible as the rest of it.. you will need a new cable core.. and or a complete speedo cable assembly.. you will be amazed that they probably have one at your local parts store..

after wiping the core down. i use either staylube moly graphite assembly lube.. or white lithium grease..  i do NOT wipe it on the first 2 inches of core.. as i don't want to bulldoze it into the casing.. a very thin coating as you slide it in..

now you will have to turn the core slightly.. to get it engaged in the speedo gear at the transmission.

this is also the HUGE REASON to NOT put any near the end of the core.. as you will fill the cavity in the end of the gear and never get the core pushed all the way in..

this greasing the cable will usually solve the bouncing speedo issue..

or replacing it..  whats happening is the cable has a slight kink in the core.. and its binding slightly at the  kink.. winding up until there is enough torque to flip past the kink.. then the speedo jumps..