• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

72' not cranking

Bri_72
New User
Posted: 02/06/14 09:45 PM

So I picked up a 302 a few months ago and I have replaced parts that look like they needed love. At this point it is the ignition coil, Starter Solenoid, Voltage Regulator, Starter, Alternator, and new battery. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what may be going wrong.

When I replaced the Voltage Regulator I had an extra wire on the new connector and tried to match them up the best I could.

Rquqgvo  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/06/14 10:18 PM

welcome to the forums..

this might help..  that is the voltage regulator connectors and really nothing to do with the engine starting.. it controls the charging system after the engine is running...

Mustang Starting System5  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/06/14 10:40 PM

perhaps this will also help...

Fordsw3starterrelaywiring Zps5a41f162  

Bri_72
New User
Posted: 02/11/14 09:37 AM

Thanks, and sorry about the late reply. This has been pretty informative but I am unsure what the part is on the bottom right just at a glance.  

Bri_72
New User
Posted: 02/11/14 09:38 AM

I would love an further explanation on the bulb checking if you could.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/11/14 02:28 PM

does the engine crank when you turn the key to the RUN position?????

if it cranks.. does it fire up and run ????

when its running.. is the alternator or battery light ON??? or OFF.. while the engine is running..

make sure the transmission is in park and the parking brake on..

if you remove the wire from the I terminal on the starter relay...

and you short the S terminal to the battery cable.. does the starter motor engage and spin the engine...

there are remote starter buttons available for this ..
Remote Starter Switch  harborfreight- item #35448

from many parts stores OEM brand /Remote starter switch Part Number: 25330
either under 20 bucks..  

or use the screw driver .. its up to you..

can you describe exactly what your car is doing or not doing..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/11/14 02:50 PM

oh... i did not see your full picture..

Fordwiringissues Zpscf1dc585

Ford Voltageregulator Zpsf6cd2084  

Bri_72
New User
Posted: 02/17/14 09:38 AM

Does the engine crank when you turn the key to the RUN position?????

- No, currently it appears that the whole car just shorts out, I need to take the key out to get power again.

If you remove the wire from the I terminal on the starter relay...

and you short the S terminal to the battery cable.. does the starter motor engage and spin the engine...

- can check this today, now that I have some free time and it isn't snowing for a change.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/17/14 10:41 AM

MOUNT THE starter relay. the bracket is the ground for the coil winding inside..

take the nuts off the studs on the side.  clean the ring terminals and reinstall..

attempt to crank..

make sure that there is a ground connection between the battery negative and the body..

if you want to step back and take pictures.. then limit them to 599 pixels wide by clicking edit .. resize then save without the save original box checked.. it will save a copy in photobucket.. post that image..

grounds have to be from the

battery negative to the engine
battery negative to the body
engine to the body..

or did i already post that..

Fordsw3starterrelaywiring Zps5a41f162  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/17/14 10:42 AM

the ground cable when it came off of the assembly line had a tab in the middle.. this tab connects the battery negative to the body.

there needs to be an additional ground strap between the back of the engine and the firewall.. because the voltage on the engine block is higher than in the battery when the engine is running and the alternator charging.. this shortens the path to the inside of the car where negative electrons are used..

Batterygroundcable Zpsc8b01c90  

Bri_72
New User
Posted: 03/01/14 04:47 PM

Man, thank you sooooooo much, car turned over and the engine runs like a dream. Now I need to figure out why the shifter won't work.  

Bri_72
New User
Posted: 03/01/14 04:49 PM

Man, thank you sooooooo much, car turned over and the engine runs like a dream. Now I need to figure out why the shifter won't work.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/02/14 01:46 AM

feeling Shiftless ...

can you describe how you feel..

what shifts.. what does not..

do you have a column shifter or a floor shifter??????

i would imagine a floor shifter..

there are a few different manual levers for the transmission shifting..

once in a great while.. the manual lever will break the welds with the manual lever shaft thru the sides of the transmission..

Engine OFF  with the car up in the air..  on secure jack stands..   have somebody work the shifter from park to low and back to park.. does the lever attached to the transmission rock fully.. it should rotate just over 45 degrees.

since the back wheels are up in the air.. and the transmission is in park.. ENGINE STILL OFF... grab the drive shaft and it should NOT turn.. have them pull the gear shifter out of park.. into reverse neutral or drive.. as soon as it comes out of park.. you should be able to turn the drive shaft in either direction by hand..

while turning the drive shaft slowly..  have them put it back into park and take their hands off the gear shift.. the drive shaft should be LOCKED NOW...

since its the middle of the night and everywhere else in the country is either raining or covered in ice.. i don't expect to hear from you until sunday..

655Mump 1101 16 Service F

Fordc4neutralsafetyswitchadjustment

yours will be different than this...

the lever with the spring is the kick down lever.. yours

Fordc4 Neutraleafetyswitch